Tuesday 24 November 2009

Instructions, Guidelines, Tutelage, Suggestions, Other Suggestions And Examples Etc.

I was very excited about attending the launch of Tim Key's new book (Instructions, Guidelines, Tutelage, Suggestions, Other Suggestions and Examples Etc. An Attempted Book by Tim Key. (And Descriptions/Conversations/A Piece About A moth)) and for good reason, EVERY event hosted/supported by The Invisible Dot is COMPLETELY awesome and I couldn't wait to buy/read the book itself.

The night kicked off with Tim Key and Tom Basden taking to the stage. There was a bit of funny talk/banter and Basden showcased his new song; an electronic-type number that asked the question "what is a book launch?". The whole thing was quite shambolic, but very funny and brilliant and genius.

Kalki the Hula Girl provided futher entertainment with a hula hooping/burlesque routine. I've seen her a few times now, all of which have been at Ali McGregor's Late Nite Variety Nite. She's very talented and totally cool.

Everybody was handed an envolope with a page of the book upon entering The Invisible Dot HQ and after Key, Basden and audience member, Dawn, had finished reading "The Day The Policeman Met The Farmer" (complete with musical accompaniment by the "trumpeter from Madness", who played outside the room for "that distant effect"), each of us read our page aloud and were encouraged to eat it (although I think Basden and Key were the only one that did; they ate their way through half a page each. Good effort).

I bought along my copy of Key's first book (25 Poems, 3 Recipes and 32 Other Suggestions) just in case an oppurtunity arose in which I could get it signed. After I had bought the new book, I shyly appproached Tim and he happily obliged.

"Dear Simone.

Thanks for your unstinting support.

This one's a cooler book I think.

Tim. x"

I am chuffed to bits.

There was a lovely article written in (wait for it) The Sun about the book/book launch.

A thought.

Whenever I meet somebody I admire I never fail to get a bit shakey/turn red/mumble/say the wrong thing etc. It's very embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment