Monday 5 April 2010

Return Of The Tardy Blogger. Week Three.

Fat Tuesday.

The Salmon and Compass is quite a trek from West London, but Joe Wilkinson was on the bill and I just had to go. Other comics included Jarred Christmas, Gerry Howell, Keith Farnan and compere, Tiernan Douieb.

Best bits:

1) Tiernan getting the audience pumped up and then Joe walked on looking a little bit glum, scratched his head, sighed and then exclaimed "I can't help but feel that i've bought bought the mood down".

2) Gerry Howell's surreal material/set. He's really, really good.

3) Jarred Christmas telling me how to get home "take the Northo to Kingo Crosso, jump on the Pico and then, bam, you're home. Don't take the Hammo and Cito, that'll take ages".

Keith asked the audience what they thought the best attribute of an Irish man was and the overwhelming response was "their accent". My initial thought was "their eyes". I'm so glad I didn't say that out loud!

The Australian Film Festival. Two Fists, One Heart. Bran Nue Dae.

Both these films were introduced by Tim Minchin who talked about his role in 'Two Fist, One Heart' as well as discussing some of the themes and cultural aspects of the film. His introduction to 'Bran Nue Dae' was a little bit more playful; he left the stage singing "there's nothing I would rather be, then to be an Aborigine".

'Two Fists, One Heart'
was a little bit predictable in plot, but the acting was top notch (especially from the writer, Rai Fazio). My favourite quotes came from Tim Minchin's character, Tom (who provided comic relief): "there's a man in my house" and "he hit me" "what did you do?" "I fell over".

I absolutely adored 'Bran Nue Dae'. It's the kind of film that makes you happy and had an amazing cast (including Geoffrey Rush, Magda Szubanski, Ernie Dingo, Missy Higgins and Jessica Mauboy). Highly recommended.

Musical Comedy Awards.

I must admit that I only booked tickets to see those performing alongside the finalists (Pippa Evans, Ginger & Black and Tom Basden), but was pleasantly surprised by all those who graced the stage. Abandoman ended up taking the top accolade (i've seen them give the same set a few times and it never fails to bring the house down), but not without some tough competion from Amatuer Transplants, Horse & Lewis and Jay Foreman (who was may favourite).

Pippa Evans as Loretta Maine is always a treat; she seems to be doing a lot more stand-up in between songs which is nice to see. Ginger & Black's set secured them a place among my favourite comedians; their material about a date that Dan had gone on is brilliant (I do love dark humour). Tom Basden sung some firm favourites as well as previewing a new song about Nazi memorabilia. Ace.

A thought.

If a stranger has a nice accent, I like them instantly (even if the only reason i've heard their accent was because I was eavesdropping).

No comments:

Post a Comment