Wednesday 26 August 2009

Edinburgh Fringe. Day 5.

I think I may have fallen asleep before my head hit the pillow but I was up at a reasonable hour (through excitement I think) and managed to make it to The Early Edition. Alongside Marcus Bridgestoke and Andre Vincent were Carrie Quinlan and Phil Jupitus. I wish I could start every day with a show like this. I love the way they don't care about offending or trying to be politically correct.

Next up was Party which I had been looking forward to for ages. It was written and stared Tom Basden (as well as Tim Key) so I was bound to enjoy it, turns out I enjoyed it a lot (surprise!). Long story short it was about a group of youths starting a political party and having to work out policies, roles, names etc. Tim Key's character Duncan stole the show; a stunning performance.

We'd caught wind that Adam Hills and Jason Byrne were doing Comedy Club 4 Kids and figured this was an oppurtunity we couldn't pass up. The show was hosted by Tiernan Douieb and also featured David O'Doherty and it proved very, very funny (especially for my friends and I who are children at heart).

We got a quick bite to eat before heading back to The Bongo Club for Simon Amstell; a show I found somewhat disappointing. I had seen a couple of previews and I just seemed to enjoy those shows so much more, I felt he kept losing his way and only half-finishing his jokes. I think this was largely due to the fact that he contributed so much time and effort at The 24 Hour Show.

The next show of the day was Camille O'Sullivan's 'Dark Angel' at Assembly Hall. Camille seemed very calm and didn't really show much of her quirky side during this performance. Her stunning voice filled every inch of the very large and beautiful venue. My favourite songs were 5 Years and These Shoes.

My brain was obviously not function properly when I thought it would be a great idea to have several glasses of wine when I got back to the flat and go out (again!) to catch Fordy's Lock-in. I didn't know any of the comedians except for Carl Donnelly (who just sat at the bar on-stage and sipped his beer) and I spent the entire show extremely bored. The wine gave me an excuse to speak my mind and I did quite a bit of complaining.

After the show we went upstairs to catch Brendan Burns headlining Just The Tonic. I hadn't been all that impressed with Mr. Burns in the past as I found his comedy very aggressive. However after his great contribution the previous day, my views seemed to change and I thouroughly enjoyed his set.

No comments:

Post a Comment