Tuesday 28 July 2009

Luck Of The Irish.


I've just spent the weekend away in Dublin with a lovely group of friends. I had booked the trip mainly to go to the Carlsberg Comedy Festival but also fitted in a spot of sight-seeing.

There was a moment of panic at Stansted on the Saturday morning when we were faced with absolute caos at the check-in desk. If it wasn't for the kindness of strangers Karena and I would have missed our flight.

We arrived late morning and went and had lunch at a church that had been converted to a pub (soup with Irish soda bread!) before touring around Dublin by bus. We were driven past numerous landmarks while a nice old man told us stories about the charming city.

The evening was filled with comedy and featured the likes of Bo Burnham and Tim Minchin. It was the first time that I had seen Bo and I loved his set so much, his material is way beyond his years. Turns out many others enjoyed his set too and he got rave reviews.

Tim Minchin's set was interesting. The audience were quite drunk and liked to heckle which was a bit unfortunate. He sang 3 songs (Prejudice, If I Didn't Have You and Confessions) and did lots of ad lib. My favourite joke was when he opened a young girls purse and pulled out ten euros (long story); a lady called Theresa objected because she thought it was mean. In defense Tim said something along the lines of "it's not mean. If it was a foetus I wouldn't have said anything". Brilliant.

On Sunday we had brunch at a charming cafe in the centre of town, from there we headed back to the Iveagh Gardens for more comedy from Des Bishop and Tim Minchin.

A great set by Mr Minchin, he playing 4 songs (the same as the night before plus 10 Foot Cock And A Few Hundred Virgins). His stand-up was tried and tested material and he let his songs speak for themselves. His performance of Confessions was the best I have seen/heard it. He walked right the way off stage before the 3rd chorus and gagged when he sang about his Great-aunt and lipstick; hilarious!

Des Bishop appeared to be the man everyone was there to see. I enjoyed most of his stand-up, but he did a lot of material that only the locals found funny (which wasn't all bad as he was nice to look at). He dealt with a rude heckler so well, by well I mean he ripped them to shreds.

I arrived home around midnight tired but with lots of lovely new memories.

A thought.

My level of tiredness had reached a new high that all I want to do is cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment