Saturday 26 June 2010

Return Of The Tardy Blogger. Again. Week Four.

Reprieve 'Laughter/Pain' Benefit Gig.

This gig was organised to raise money for Reprieve and featured the likes of Isy Suttie, Robin Ince, Ed Byrne, Andy Zaltzman, Phill Jupitus (with the La De Dahs), Kevin Eldon, Shappi Khorsandi, Stewart Lee, Tim Minchin and MC, Alistair Barrie.

Nothing negative to say about this line-up. Really enjoyed Ed Byrne (his new material is really coming along) and Phill Jupitus.

Minchin got the biggest cheer of the night and sang 'Prejudice', 'If I Didn't Have You', 'Confessions'. 'The Pope Song' and 'Canvas Bags'. He got a series of heckles from a female audience member during the feminist movement in 'Confessions' which were dismissed with "SUCK MY BALLS, BITCH".

66A Church Road. Daniel Kitson.

Daniel Kitson's 66A Church Road is about a house that he loved with all his heart, but could never actually have as his own. I came out of New Players Theatre feeling light and fluffy and thoughtful; Kitson is such a wonderful storyteller. He referred to himself as "adorably petty" at one point - love.

The set was very impressive; a series of scattered suitcases that would light up during relevant parts of the play to reveal a room from Kitson's old flat.

Cardinal Burns And Friends.

I was really looking forward to seeing Cardinal Burns again, it had been aaaaaages! I'd hoped for some new material, although in all fairness, they wouldn't have had time. It was a complete shambles of a gig - the audience was drunk and rowdy (and horny according to my friend Jo) and the work of the MC, Trevor Lock, was ruined every time there was a technical glitch (there were quite a few).

Still, I got to see Late Night Gimp Fight who are pretty bloody good and the banter between Key and Harry Deansway was hilarious.

An Event Of Some Kind VIII.

I've been to all but one of Junior Ministers' An Event Of Some Kind. Medal? I was incredibly tired, but manged to stay until the very end (midnight-ish).

Spak Whitman, Jukebox Collective and Abandoman were my faves. I was chosen to be in one of Abandoman's songs which made my night! Woo!!

Itch: A Scratch Event.

Going to the theatre on a Sunday Afternoon? How middle class. Some really great plays in progress at this event; particularly liked 'A Bird In The Hand' by Aisling Bea (which featured Jarred Christmas), 'The Vaguely Unsettling World Of Clovis Van Darkhelm' by Mike Hayley, 'Baydoll' by Steve Keyworth (Brendan Burns can be rather scary) and 'Marcel Lucont' by Alexis Dubus (he's such a brilliant writer!).

A thought.

If I was a boy, i'd probably be balding. I suspect i'd keep my hair very short.

No comments:

Post a Comment