Saturday 5 December 2009

Karaoke Circus. Bethnal Green Working Man's Club.

I tend to stay well away from East London as it scares me, but I couldn't not go to Karaoke Circus! A seedy underground room that had a faint smell of wee didn't stop it being a wonderful night out; always such a joy.

There were lots of highlights and my favourites included: Tony Gardner and Ben Miller's impression of Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing 'Little Drummer Boy', Humphrey Ker (phwoar!) and Thom Tuck from The Penny Dreadfuls singing 'Dancing in the Dark', a young (and very charismatic) lad called Jack singing 'Mr Blue Sky', Margaret Cabourn-Smith singing 'All I Want For Christmas (she apologised because "it is impossible to not sound like a cunt while singing this song") and Chris Addison and Jessica Hynes singing 'Fairytale of New York' by The Progues.

My friend, Will, gave another storming performance (singing the male part of Sonny and Cher's 'I Got You Babe') and I found Anna Crilly (who sang 'Last Christmas with Katy Wix) very entertaining. Kevin Eldon used an immense amount of talent to give a flawless rendition of 'Everybody Hurts'; he never fails to blow me away when he performs. I think the image of Tom Parry from Pappy's jumping around in his boxers and a little bit of tin foil very disturbing - he shouldn't have jumped.

To end the night, all those who "karaoke-ed" got up onstage and belted out Bohemian Rhapsody. I think all Karaoke Circus' should end like this in the future.

Once again Martin White, Danielle Ward, David Reed (another phwoar!), Foz and The Mystery Fax Machine Orchestra were a brilliant house band. Special mention to Helen Arney on clarinet who made me smile whenever I stole a glance - loved her enthusiasm.

A thought.

I really hate feeling down when there is no real reason for feeling that way. So frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment